Helping Hands Compassionate Outreach exists to mobilize and equip the church to creatively communicate the Gospel to individuals living with disabilities and their families. We do this through practical means, such as providing wheelchairs and walking aids, and also by visiting families to encourage and share God’s word with them. We currently have three Mozambicans employed in our workshop, where they repair, make adjustments to and assemble various types of wheelchairs to be distributed to those in need. We are seeking someone with practical skills to be involved in overseeing this work in the workshop and to help the team to continue to pursue new ideas and new solutions in this area.
Helping Hands takes a holistic approach to expressing God’s love to those living with a disability and their families. We're looking for people with a passion to use their practical skills alongside being prepared to share the Gospel, reaching out to communities in Word and deed.
- Visit the workshop on a daily basis (Monday – Friday) to work alongside the team for the assembly, repair, and maintenance of the wheelchairs
- Help provide knowledge and advice team members.
- Research and develop creative solutions to improve mobility and the quality of life for those living with a disability.
- Disciple workshop employees, volunteers, and people living with disability.
- Participate in home visits to those living with a disability, including providing wheelchairs or making repairs to existing equipment.
- Training Helping Hands volunteers in simple repairs or adjustments to equipment.
- Potential opportunities exist to visit partner churches in the center and north of the country to offer training and support as they seek to establish the Helping Hands Ministry there.
As soon as possible
Both Long Term & Short Term
1-12 months or 1 year or more
- High School and/or work experience equivalent
- Practical experience (ideally at least 2 years) as a mechanic, technician or engineer and ability to apply these skills to the setting of a wheelchair workshop
- Willingness to learn Portuguese on arrival to the field
- Ability to adapt to a different culture essential
- Valid driving license essential
- Eligible for employment in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or the UK
One Mission Society is a faith-based mission and our staff raises 100% of their financial support to cover their pay, living and ministry expenses.
- Spread the word
- request information
- call us 317.888.3333 and ask for Mobilization.